Sunday 24 September 2006

Tobacco, Lead May Be Missing Link To ADHD, Children

Research indicates that tobacco & lead may be factors in adhd:

"Study Stresses Importance Of Staying Away From Toxins During Pregnancy

POSTED: 1:58 pm EDT September 22, 2006
UPDATED: 8:05 pm EDT September 22, 2006
Millions of children suffer from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). They cannot seem to sit still or concentrate on anything for any length of time at home or in school, but a new study may offer new clues into what causes the condition."

for more click:
WRAL.com - Health - Tobacco, Lead May Be Missing Link To ADHD, Children

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this study too and while it is interesting I wonder how accurate it is. I think we may be looking again at correlation vs causation (like the TV link that was such a big stir last year).

Yes, my mother smoked and yes I do have ADHD. However, I do not and have never smoked, and my son has ADHD. Unless they are suggesting that we have damaged our DNA I think that I am more predisposed to believing the genetic link that has been shown to exist over and over again.

I do know though that people with ADHD are more likely to be smokers, so it is highly possible that the smokers that had ADHD children might have actually had ADHD themselves and passed it on genetically.

Just my .02 on it all.

Pru said...

My parents both smoked too, but (in retrospect) I think they had adhd too.